Thursday, September 4, 2008

The no unpacking zone

After 4 very long days of moving in, we are slowly, but surely, settling into the house.

I thought Mr. BITH was crazy to want to set up our front-porch furniture after one particularly long day of moving, but he insisted, saying, "this huge-ass box has been sitting in our family room for two months! It's time to actually use it."

So we sat on the concrete and assembled this together.



It has been awesome (thanks for insisting Mr. BITH!). When we are tired and sweaty and can't imagine looking at one more box or moving around one more thing, we come out here and sit and relax. And yes, both lemonade and sweet tea have made an appearance (as well as some vodka and beer).

We have already met quite a few neighbors. One of our neighbors makes bird houses and came over yesterday to deliver one especially
made for us as a housewarming gift. How cute and sweet is that?



This same neighbor has several hummingbird feeders in her front yard. After I saw a few hummingbirds in just the few minutes I was visiting her place, I had to go out and get a feeder. Mr. BITH couldn't believe we had hummingbirds, but then when I was out doing errands one day he spotted one at our feeder and was so excited to tell me when I got home :)



We have scored practically all of our yard/outdoor stuff at end of season prices (mostly 75% off). So we are now proud owners of a large push broom, garden shears, hose, citronella candles, hurricane lantern and also these great copper planters that I put some MIL tongue in and placed on either side of the entrance. I can't wait to see these little ones get tall and strong!


3 comments:

Nolan said...

Great house! We have hummingbirds, too! I put out a feeder the other day because I had already seen them hovering around. We ate dinner in the backyard on Labor Day, and all of a sudden, what I thought was a large bug flew very near us (and the flame of the red glass oil lamp we had lit). When I realized it was actually a hummingbird, just hanging there checking us out, I started yelling because I was afraid it would land on the lantern. I'm sure if you catch a hummingbird on fire, your soul would be in deep trouble ;)

Bungalow in the Hollow said...

Thanks! We are loving it!

I completely agree that your karma would be heavy hit if one played any part in harming a hummingbird.

There is this one evasive hummingbird that I just catch a glimpse of and then it takes off.

I want ones that hover so I can observe them longer.

Send some of your hovering ones over, will you? :)

Jen said...

Congrats on moving in!!!

We have the buzzing little birds as well. I have tried and tried to snap a pic of 'em, but it just turns out to be a blur.