Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Thanks for the memories!

Night before last I drove almost an hour each way to FINALLY pick up the surprise anniversary gift for dear Mr. BITH. Yes, only a few months late - but boy, was it worth it! It turned out even better than I thought it would.

It is a spin on the traditional second anniversary gift of cotton - a t-shirt quilt. I am pretty crafty, but not
sew crafty. I think the person who made the quilt had amazing attention to detail and sense of balance. I will happily recommend her to anyone who is interested.

I stole, err collected t-shirts for months before amassing the twelve shirts I needed for the quilt. I even sneaked one out of the trash!


The twelve shirts tell the story of us meeting, dating, changing jobs, acquiring petite monstre and even cover our rehearsal dinner and getting married.


Our good friends D&J tried to get a t-shirt for me from Tu Tu Tango in Orlando (one of our first dates), but apparently they don't feel the need to merchandise the hell out of patrons like the rest of Orlando does and don't even carry t-shirts!




The Atlanta one had closed only weeks prior to me starting the t-shirt quest because their building was being razed. They claim they want to open another location - I hope they do! Until then, RIP Atlanta Tu Tu Tango.


The unveiling



Mr. BITH's reaction was interesting. He exclaimed, "Cool!" when he saw the retro fabrics and got the basic gist of what it was. Upon further inspection he moaned, "Ohhhhhh, you used my favorite shirt and my Love & Rockets shirt?"






{BTW, the silk shirt had a rip in it bigger than my hand - and not on a seam either. He hasn't worn it in a few years. The L&R shirt had so many holes it looked like several generations of moths had gotten to it}.


I knew it would be a little hard for him to let go . . .


Later in the evening he pulled me to him and gave me a kiss and said that he really did love it. He decided it was nice having all of the memories in one place.


I guess he really does love it, because he is not even sharing it with the dog :)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That's a great idea! Makes me wish I'd kept some of the old t-shirts that have been tossed/turned into rags over the years.